Sprout Creek Farm Counselor In Training (CIT)
Join the Sprout Creek farm Summer Camp crew! Our CIT program is a great way to spend the summer on a beautiful farm working and playing alongside the farm’s animals and summer campers.
Sprout Creek Farms Counselors-In-Training (CITs) participate in a selective program, with curricula, programming, and responsibilities designed to provide individuals with the skills necessary to be an effective camp counselor and educator. We create a way for teens to gain leadership and communication skills while working in a caring and fun environment. CITs are 14 - 18 years old. (Freshman - Seniors in high school). The CIT program applies only to our day camp program. There are no CIT opportunities in our overnight program.
CITs work alongside Educators, Sprout Creek Farm Counselors and full-time farm staff to facilitate day-to-day programming for summer camp sessions, creating an atmosphere that is both safe, fun and educational.
Duties and Responsibilities:
At Sprout Creek Farm, we believe that all teachers can be farmers and all farmers can be teachers. Part of the joy of working on the farm is being able to insert yourself into any activity or work that needs doing. We do not limit our CITs to any one task. We work as an integrated team to help make sure we all succeed, our animals stay healthy, and our program participants leave thinking critically about our planet, their community, and their own personal impact on the world around them. Some duties assigned to you include:
• Working with Educators and SCF Counselors on a daily basis to design, prepare, and implement summer camp programming for Camp programs
• Demonstrating and ensuring the proper stewardship of our farm, its facilities, grounds, gardens, and animals through proper instruction and supervision of campers
• Promoting and maintaining an accepting and inclusive community amongst a diverse population of campers
• Helping to ensure child safety, while maintaining a fun, enthusiastic, and engaging atmosphere
What To Expect:
CITs will participate in at least a one day training session held during the week before camp starts (June 22 - 26, 2020). During their time at Sprout Creek Farm, they will shadow full-time and seasonal staff, work with campers, and help facilitate camp and farm operations. Most CIT responsibilities will fall under Day Camp programs, with sessions running between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. CITs are required to commit to at least 2 weeks of summer camp.
First and foremost, you must be an enthusiastic, adaptable learner, willing to work in a variety of environments with a variety of people. You will be engaging with campers with varying ages, needs, and experiences. Additional qualifications include:
PLEASE NOTE: Not qualifying for one or more of the following does not necessarily prevent you from participating in the CIT program. Final decision is left to the discretion of SCF Education Management.
• At least 14-years-of-age.
• Experience working with children — Does not have to be in a camp setting
• Willingness to learn about our farm and impart this knowledge to campers
• Commitment to at least two full weeks during the summer. Preference is given to CITs capable of attending multiple weeks
• Access to daily transportation to and from the farm.
• Preferred: Experience and comfortability around farm animals and farm related processes
• Attendance in at least one day of summer orientation held in mid-June (6/22 - 6/26, 2020).
Under New York state law, a CIT is a camper who is assigned to an on-duty counselor or other staff member; since they are not staff this is a non-paying position. CITs are considered campers under NYS law and are encouraged to list their time at Sprout Creek Farm as volunteer hours for requirements at school, on National Honor Society applications, college applications, service organizations, etc.
Applications are requested by March 31st at the latest. Send a resume, and completed application (see below) to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with contact information for three references we can contact for recommendations. Please include at least one professional reference, if possible. The remainder may be personal references.
Please email email@example.com with any questions. You can also reach our Camp Office at 845-485-8438 ext 103.